PR case study: building media interest in DreamFactory's Verizon partnership
DreamFactory just turned a big corner in its progression as the go-to technology for enterprise developers looking to build and deploy mobile and IoT applications by signing an agreement with Verizon Cloud services to embed DreamFactory's API platform on the Verizon Cloud.
Here's a brief account of how the PR strategy was developed, and the results it achieved.
This is the first time an applications development technology has been offered as an efficient on-ramp for developers who need to create, test and deploy massively scalable applications on a public cloud. It also represents an interesting expansion of Verizon's cloud technology (which most people would associate more with IaaS for opps than with front-end developers) toward the developer community — and represents another data point on the increasing influence that developers have over IT strategy and technology selection.
We teamed with Verizon's PR crew to develop a phased approach to media outreach that would provide journalists who are already familiar with both DreamFactory and Verizon with sufficient runway to get their teeth into the story. Interview offers were made to a wide range of media outlets to secure interest and give journalists a chance to get the perspectives of executives from both DreamFactory and Verizon.
These pre-wire media briefings, along with other interviews that we were able to line up, led to some excellent commentary going live on the web just as the news went public on the wire.
The announcement was covered by top technology news websites:
- App Developer Magazine, Richard Harris: [DreamFactory REST API
- platform now available on Verizon Cloud](https://appdevelopermagazine.com/3089/2015/8/19/DreamFactory-REST-API-Platform-Now-Available-on-Verizon-Cloud/)
- CMSwire, Scott Fulton: Verizon steps further into the API business
- Enterprise Tech, Alison Diana: DreamFactory, Verizon team up on developer cloud portal
- eWeek, Darryl Taft: DreamFactory, Verizon team on free cloud dev portal
- Mobile Enterprise, Lori Castle: Verizon expands mobile, IoT developer relationships through new partnership
- ProgrammableWeb, Eric Zeman: DreamFactory, Verizon partner on cloud-based app portal
- SD Times, Rob Marvin: DreamFactory and Verizon partner on enterprise cloud development portal
- Talkin' Cloud, Mike Vizard: Verizon enlists DreamFactory for cloud integration
- The New IP, Liz Coyne: Verizon: making app dreams come true
Acknowledgements I would like to express my sincere thanks to the journalists who covered this story, all of whom showed interest in the news, were able to fit it into their busy schedules, and then ask insightful questions to explain the significance of the news to their readers in thoughtful articles. Also - many thanks to Kevin Irland at Verizon and his Weber Shandwick team for their hard work in helping make this happen.